"I'm not what you think I am..."
Average Attendee
Average Attendee
Because the first one was a joke

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:18 pm 
(No assigned userbar)
Average Attendee
Average Attendee
I was gonna download a rom for it and then I didn't.

Should I?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:58 pm 
"All the world's jewels are mine!"
Average Attendee
Average Attendee
I forgot I have all three somewhere; I need to replay them all soon, what with 4 announced. It was a over decade ago I originally played them.

Arianna#5279

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:08 am 
"You're not even good enough to be my fake."
Average Attendee
Average Attendee
The fact that the title and contents of this thread is a joke on my "Actual Roleplaying Club" thread makes me really happy unironically.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:28 am 
"Show me your power... Or I shall not obey."
Rocky Road
Rocky Road
if we buy it online can people play it together

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:43 am 
(No assigned userbar)
Average Attendee
Average Attendee
Quote Tobi :
I was gonna download a rom for it and then I didn't.

Should I?
Heads up for anyone venturing into the series:

Streets of Rage 1 is extremely rough around the edges (and personally I say the inside as well).
The graphics are alright I guess, the soundtrack is good but not great, and the actual combat isn't that great.

Street of Rage 2 on the other hand, looks beautiful, has great music, and is a very well refined upgrade to the previous game.

Streets of Rage 3 forces to the player to play on hard mode (now renamed normal mode) to beat the full game. This is only for the English releases (all of them I think).
Anyways, the take away is the game is harder than intended if you don't play the Japanese version. also the music isn't as good 2 It has nice enhancements to the gameplay itself though.

All in all: I say the best one to start with out of the box is SOR2, and I completely recommend the series even if you play SOR1 first, but just keep in mind that the others change quite a bit.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:08 am 
(No assigned userbar)
Average Attendee
Average Attendee
I've currently only played Streets of Rage 1. My response in the last thread was obviously shitposty, but there's actual truth to that in that I don't really like beat-em-ups (despite the fact that the two guides I've written for the site are both beat-em-up games :sweatdrop: ). They tend to feel slow and clunky to me, as well as repetitive (I'm not really into games focused entirely on combat and nothing else) and I really don't like how lots of them handle difficulty in that they seem to mainly focus on knowing how to correctly approach enemies and the only way to find out what angle to come in for bosses is through trial and error against enemies that deal far too much damage for that to feel viable. I also find only being able to attack things to the left and right of you annoying when you can move in all eight directions. I have actually beaten Streets of Rage 1, but I wouldn't play it again I don't think. It was worth at least one playthrough for the presentation at least, the neon-lit streets and dance club music are great for getting me excited where the gameplay fails to. I think Streets of Rage 1 is a decent enough game as far as the genre goes and I'd gladly take it over the likes of Golden Axe or Final Fight, but it's still not really my thing.

I do intend to play Streets of Rage 2 some time, but it's more of an obligation. I'm interested in it less because it seems like something I'd enjoy, and more because it's such an iconic classic and a constant contender for best Mega Drive game ever made. I can't personally work up too much enthusiasm for it for that reason, but I think some time I'll give it a go in co-op with a friend and see just how much things have improved.