Pico (obvious mvp) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes: 18
 Post subject: Favourite SEGA console?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:37 am 
"Ascension!"
Average Attendee
Average Attendee
What's your favourite, and why?

It's hard for me to pick, but I'm particularly fond of the Saturn myself. The huge library of great imports is the main reason (has over 900 games in Japan!), as well as the extremely faithful arcade ports, unique gems like NiGHTS and Burning Rangers, great selection of shmups, puzzle games and RPGs and also just how great it was for some of the best looking 2D games of it's time. I also greatly appreciate it for being the one console from it's era that actually had a reasonably sized memory card that can easily hold hundreds of game saves as well as having the in-built battery backup too. I'd say it's the SEGA console I find myself going back to the most, partially because there's so many hidden gems on it that I'm constantly finding new interesting games for it the deeper I search.

I also really like the Master System. It may have been a decade before my time but it was still the first SEGA console I ever got after getting a second hand one online and it's super nostalgic to me for that. I love how Master System games look, they're so bright and colourful and not loaded with ridiculous amounts of flicker like NES games typically are, and the art style SEGA typically used in their early Master System games is extremely cute and charming to me.

Nomad is disqualified as it has an unfair advantage due to being the objective correct answer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:43 am 
"Chaos is power, enriched by the heart."
Rocky Road
Rocky Road
I'd have to go with the Dreamcast, but granted, that's mainly because it's the only SEGA Console I actually own. Nevertheless, I absolutely adore the thing. Prior to owning one, my experience with SEGA had mostly been on other consoles.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:58 am 
"Get a load of this!"
Rocky Road
Rocky Road
The Gamecube.

except it WON'T BE CHAO ISLAND ANYMORE
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:35 am 
"What you see is what you get! Just a guy who loves adventure!"
Average Attendee
Average Attendee
neo geo pocket color

in all seriousness, the dreamcast (obviously). it had a lot of power and a few heavy hitters, however the PS2 stabbed it in the face before it could really make a splash

twitter | youtube | steam | discord: eblu#8048

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:53 am 
"I'm not what you think I am..."
Average Attendee
Average Attendee
i'd also have to go for the saturn; it has an incredibly bland library in the west, but if you look towards importing you can find an absolutely crazy amount of hidden gems, all of the first party games are absolutely fantastic and filled to the brim with unique ideas and great art direction, and the overall aesthetics of the console are still appealing today due to a focus on cinematic lighting and stylization rather than realism

the system just has so much personality, all of the accessories and expansions are super interesting and overall i just wish people gave it more attention

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:40 am 
"I'm not what you think I am..."
Average Attendee
Average Attendee
im completely torn between saturn and dreamcast but im going saturn just because devil summoner is on it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:10 pm 
"We all did it together!"
Average Attendee
Average Attendee
Dreamcast for me, baby. Although the Saturn is a close second.

Has my favourite game of all time on it, as well as being all round incredible. I still have mine hooked up the TV and occasionally play it. It's honestly a great system, and I love everything about it. Got one back in 2000 or so and have great memories playing on it a lot, hell the console is the reason I even became a "gamer", snuck into the living room after midnight and stayed up all night to play on it even though I had school the next day. I was around 4 as well.

Skies of Arcadia, Shenmue, Jet Set Radio, Sonic Adventure, Chu Chu Rocket, Power Stone, Soul Calibur, Metropolis Street Racer, House of the Dead 2, Space Channel 5, Phantasy Star Online, Evolution, Silver. There were a lot of games on the system and I loved it, especially the PS1/N64 enhanced ports it got.

Such a shame what happened to it, Sega of Japan truly were incompetent fools and did nothing good for the company outside of Japan (and even that's debatable, last I heard the PC Engine was beating the Mega Drive in sales in Japan somehow)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:13 pm 
"Theme of a Tragedic Revenge"
Average Attendee
Average Attendee
my favorite sega console is the saturn for how in theory you can play vcd-formatted episodes of seinfeld on it

i'm aware it's possible on dreamcast too but i don't think it would be nearly as fulfilling

it would be inherently very fulfilling but we're comparing "wow this is the best thing i've experienced all week" to "wow this is the best thing i've experienced in my whole life"

now tell me

would you rather the best experience of just one week in your life or would you rather the best experience of your lifetime ?

come on now

the choice is obvious

pick the saturn and start living today

pick the saturn and start living today

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:19 pm 
"Show me your power... Or I shall not obey."
Rocky Road
Rocky Road

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:26 am 
(No assigned userbar)
Average Attendee
Average Attendee
The Genesis.

Nothing beats the growl of its sound hardware. :^)