It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:06 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:25 am 
"I'm not what you think I am..."
Average Attendee
Average Attendee

Join our Discord server! https://discord.gg/bAs2Ry8

Launch

Finally, on November 11th, 2018, we've launched - for real! After an eight-month trial period, SEGA Carnival is now officially open. I want to thank everyone who's stuck with us this whole time, be it on the forums or the Discord server - you are all a special part of this community, and responsible for making this happen.

Mission Statement

SEGA Carnival is an immersive love letter to the early internet, aiming to bring you back to a better time and a better place, when the World Wide Web was only just beginning to find its footing; but first and foremost, it's going to be an absolutely massive database for all things vintage SEGA, from hardware to software and everything in between. We plan to become a huge, centralized resource on the net for this kind of content, featuring in-depth walkthroughs, developer interviews, technical information, prerelease/unused content... All kinds of odds and ends.

Alongside this, we want to foster a strong and familial community as other forums did in their prime. One of our most important goals here is to provide a meeting place for like-minded people and lead them to relationships and experiences that will stick with them their entire lives. A majority of our staff grew up in an era where message boards, oekaki, and similar concepts were the dominant form of social interaction on the internet - and we've definitely noticed a sharp decline in their popularity now that larger and more diverse platforms have entered the scene. In spite of this, however, we still believe there's a strong demand for these kinds of spaces in today's online climate, and we want nothing more than provide a means to that end.

Also, that cute girl. Yeah. Her up there. Her name's Nomad! Look at her. She's like, seven console-tans in one. You will appreciate her. You will do this for us.

History

SEGA Carnival began as an appeal to rebrand a site you might know of, actually - Chao Island! This is where a lot of our userbase met, and we all essentially grew up together there. Over time, however, activity waned due to a number of factors. Recently, though, an initiative was started to revitalize the site and "trim the fat" so to speak - and, sensing an opportunity on the rise, we presented a massive proposition to the administrator (Mooncow) after gathering support from every corner of the community. This was Sonic Resort, the first incarnation of this very project. It started out simple enough - expand the site to cover more beyond the Chao content in the Adventure saga. From Sonic Heroes up until Sonic & the Black Knight, we wanted Sonic Resort to become the #1 source of Adventure-era Sonic content. Eventually, through working with Mooncow, we reached a compromise - though the scope would expand as anticipated, Chao would still be at the forefront and the site would not be renamed. As time passed, we decided that it would be for the best if we went our separate ways. Chao Island continued to develop and reshape its identity; in that time, we began to move forward and realize our own goal. Broadening our own scope, we decided that we would dedicate ourselves to covering not just Sonic, not just Adventure-era, but all of SEGA's golden era, spanning from the 90s into the mid-2000s.

Did you know Nomad isn't actually human? You might be able to learn more about that in the near future, if you look hard enough...

The Future

Now that we've launched, you can expect things to fully kick into gear. With the forums feature complete, you'll begin regularly seeing things such as fun, site-wide events that can earn you currency, special userbars, badges, and more! Eventually, we even plan on developing large-scale mobile apps with lots of functionality; more details on that later, though! Additionally, as our userbase grows, so will our forums - you can expect to see more and more boards created depending on what our community ends up wanting and needing.

In regards to long-term goals, we have several things both on the table and under wraps; what I can say right now is that we want to eventually expand our coverage both backwards, forwards, and outside its original scope once a majority of our goals have been met. This includes documentation of things like the SG-1000, Master System, Game Gear, and Mega Drive - and even other, non-game media such as anime, light novels, and audio dramata.

Epilogue

SEGA Carnival comes from a place very close to my heart, and I'm sure this is true of everyone else on the staff. We really hope you have a fantastic time here, and that you'll stick it out with us until we've made our dream come true. The sky's the limit, and it'll really be a sight to see one day.

Fun fact: Nomad is a NEET. That's certainly the most attractive type of girl, don't you agree?

Current Staff

Administrators
CasualCollision
Nectar Hime
Vaporwave

Moderators
Arachne
Shadria
Tracy
Vic

Nightmarens
eblu
Jhin
Nano

Art (including the lovely header for this very post!)
chocohugs

:nomad:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:31 pm 
"All the world's jewels are mine!"
Average Attendee
Average Attendee
Now that's something to celebrate. You're moving on up there. Nice.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:45 am 
"You're not even good enough to be my fake."
Average Attendee
Average Attendee
That's great! :) Can't wait to see what ya'll do in the future, even if i'm never really on anymore.