SEGA Carnival Website •  FAQ •  Search •  Register •  Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:27 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 10:13 pm 
"We all did it together!"
Average Attendee
Average Attendee
So what are some of those games you really hated as a kid, but as you grew up and replayed them you really loved them (or vise versa)?

For me it's definitely Zelda 1/2.

I had the NES GBA versions and after playing the other games (LTTP/LA/MC etc.) going back to the first two was annoying.

I didn't hate Zelda 1 that much, but I honestly had no idea where to go since games like LTTP and MC gave you a map with a direction. Looking back I wish someone told me to make a map since I would've loved to do that a kid and it would've helped in the long run. I could never find the second dungeon and would usually die before I got there. Zelda 2 on the other hand was just so difficult and different to any other Zelda game I just disliked it.

Replaying them in 2013 was a lot more fun. I had a map for both just so I knew where to go, and consulted a guide whenever I didn't. Zelda 1 was just a basic Zelda game so I liked it once I knew what I was doing, as for 2 I really loved it. From the music to the world map that game was really cool and unique, loved the combat too once I got the hang of it, very challenging.

Another game would be The World Ends With You. My brother got it in 2007 and loved it, and told me I should play it but I honestly HATED the controls. I really didn't like using buttons and the touch screen to play (and I still don't) so I put the game off for 10 years. I liked everything else about the game, and even knew it's soundtrack due to my brother playing it all the time and I really loved it as well, but hated the gameplay. I eventually went back to it last summer and really enjoyed it, the boat has passed for me to really love it sadly. It seems like one of those games that I would've put in my top ten back when I was 11 and would've stuck with me since but sadly, that won't happen. Although, if it was anything like me playing Phoenix Wright I probably would've had a cringeworthy phase in regards to the game, so at least THAT never happened.

If it counts as well, I didn't really like games like Mass Effect, Red Dead Redemption and Fallout 3 until years later (although, I don't like Fallout 3 as much as I did, but I don't hate it as much as I did before). The other two I played as a teenager and didn't like them as much, but over time I grew to tolerate and even enjoy them even though my first playthrough wasn't that enjoyable with them.

Although, there is no game I can think of I loved as a kid and really hate now. They were all pretty good and I still enjoy them today.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 11:18 pm 
"Ascension!"
Average Attendee
Average Attendee
Pikmin immediately springs to mind. HATED the time limit as a kid, made it way too stressful. Nowadays I absolutely adore the unique gameplay and especially the atmosphere, which the time limit honestly adds to.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 1:28 am 
"Get a load of this!"
Rocky Road
Rocky Road
I can't think of a single game I've ever *hated*, but there are a lot of games I was terrible at as a kid that I mastered as an adult. Sonic Spinball is the major example.

except it WON'T BE CHAO ISLAND ANYMORE
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 2:56 pm 
"Chaos is power, enriched by the heart."
Rocky Road
Rocky Road
The only major things that come to mind is the Final Fantasy series. I couldn't stand those games because my brother would talk about them ad-nauseam and make me sit down and watch him play. Now that I got the chance to experience them on my own terms, I love them.

Beyond Good & Evil is a game I would've hated as a kid because of the frequent stealth segments. I'm glad that I got to experience it as an adult because it's an amazing game.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 2:09 am 
"Show me your power... Or I shall not obey."
Rocky Road
Rocky Road
None, I've managed to replay each game that broke my nuts and enjoy myself

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 11:57 pm 
"Lovely Trick!"
Average Attendee
Average Attendee
ty the tasmanian tiger is actually kind of a nightmare game

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 3:56 am 
"What you see is what you get! Just a guy who loves adventure!"
Average Attendee
Average Attendee
super monkey ball. that game is HARD and no one can change my mind

twitter | youtube | steam | discord: eblu#8048

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 4:02 am 
"Chaos is power, enriched by the heart."
Rocky Road
Rocky Road
^Agreed--Expert mode is incredibly brutal, but it is fun.

(I hated Monkey Ball just from the cover because as a kid I thought the designs looked stupid. Now I think they're cute.)

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 7:57 am 
"Ascension!"
Average Attendee
Average Attendee
I actually LOVED the Super Monkey Ball games as a kid (Monkey Ball 2 especially) and if anything my appreciation for it has only increased with time. Back then I loved it for being a great party game with tons of content and minigames that meant there was always going to be something on that disk that my friends would enjoy (Golf and Target being the usual standbys), but the fact that the main game managed to make such distinctly varied levels that all require vastly different approaches with such simplistic mechanics and visuals is something I appreciate far more now. I really do think it's a brilliantly designed and deceptively clever game. Some levels can piss right off though. Looking at you Switch Inferno.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 9:19 am 
(No assigned userbar)
Average Attendee
Average Attendee
Does "everything on the PS1" count?

It was my first console, yet only until a few years ago, I didn’t have a memory card - so I missed out on a lot.

Fast-forward to today and my PlayStation is in a box somewhere.
I’m anticipating the day I can finally get it out and use it again, now that I have more games and a memory card.