SEGA Carnival Website •  FAQ •  Search •  Register •  Login 
It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:53 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:04 am 
"You're not even good enough to be my fake."
Average Attendee
Average Attendee
Not the reignited trilogy.
(I spent 5 minutes resizing this help me)
I've only played the first Spyro on a PS1 emulator, but yeah. It's l i t.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:25 am 
(No assigned userbar)
Average Attendee
Average Attendee
I'm going throw more of my creditability out of the window now by saying that Spyro: Attack of the Rhynocs on GBA is probably my favourite in the series.

To be fair, it's been AGES since I played it so I'm going off nostalgia, but I dunno, that game just sticks out in my mind more over the others. Like when I think PS1 Spyro I think the games are good but I can't help but feel like I'd rather be playing Banjo, or for a game on the same system, Ape Escape. Attack of the Rhynocs on the other hand did so much original stuff that I loved, and the fact that they made a game that huge and open and explorative on the GBA is really impressive. The more Metroidvania kind of approach was really cool as well with it just having the one really big hub world that was opened up more and more by gaining new abilities and completing quests as opposed to the usual "need ___ amount of ___ to progress" kind of thing, stepping away from the vanilla collect-a-thon formula and making it more distinct, and I actually wish there were more 3D platformers that used this kind of formula (does it count as 3D if it's isometric?). I even think it's more atmospheric in a way, it does a far better job of making the entire game feel like one interconnected world as opposed to a bunch of unrelated levels accessed by magic portals like the other Spyro games do, and I think that's also helped by the music also doing a great job of setting the mood and the lack of cheesy voice acting taking me out of the game (though I play the PS1 Spyro games with voice acting turned off anyway for that very reason I guess).

I'm pretty sure next time i play it i'm immediately going to discover "oh god the lenses on those rose tinted glasses were thicker than i realised" but for the time being there's what i liked about attack of the rhynocs at least.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:27 pm 
(No assigned userbar)
Average Attendee
Average Attendee
The PS1 was my first console, but I didn't have a memory card for ages, so I've yet to experience the games in full.
I tend to prefer my 3D collectathon platformers with a bit more spice in them anyway, but I'm sure Spyro is good.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:12 pm 
"Jackle, the Mantle"
Average Attendee
Average Attendee
Spyro was the game that got me into gaming. I grew up with 1 and 2, and got 3 a few years ago.

1 is a great classic, and pretty good for a kid learning how to play 3D platforming collectathons. Spyro 1 does have its flaws though, such as camera angles, needing precise glides in some spots, and the occasional bug.
2 fixes most of the flaws in 1, although some still regard the camera as difficult to use. 2 also introduces new, friendly characters, civilians within stages, cutscenes between levels, temporary powerups, and permanent powerups. 2 is personally one of my favorite games within the Collectathon genre, with its additional content- being hidden skill points and multiple missions within levels.
3 is held as one of the best, however I don't feel the same. Might be lack of nostalgia, might be different opinions, no big deal. I feel as if 3 was rushed and lacks some of the charm 1 and 2 had- although it's still charming and enjoyable in its own right. 3 introduced 4 new playable characters alongside Spyro, but I feel that they were pushed in without much explanation to them, and they only appeared in a few stages/missions.
Shelia- first to arrive, she's a Kangaroo that acts the most like Spyro in gameplay. She has a double jump and a stomp attack.
Sargent Byrd- this Penguin has infinite flight and uses bombs and rockets to attack from the air. He's fairly slow on land, but its bearable.
Bently- a Yeti with a high intelligence, he uses a massive club to break/attack. Bently has one of the WORST missions ever and is the slowest character. Beyond his personality I really dislike this character.
Agent 9- Finally Agent 9 is a monkey trained by the Professor (from Spyro 2) and acts like a FPS character with his raygun. He's also the only side character with a upgrade, having a secret automatic gun in one stage (it has 99 shots, and will vanish after the mission). He's around the same speed as Spyro.
It also had Skateboarding missions, which I disliked a lot. I'm not good at skateboarding games, and it plagued my time with Spyro 3. I almost couldn't get 100% on the game due to it. I still haven't gotten 117% because of the skateboarding mission in the Secret Bonus World.