SEGA Carnival Website •  FAQ •  Search •  Register •  Login 
It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:17 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Digimon Hub
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:56 am 
"Jackle, the Mantle"
Average Attendee
Average Attendee
Ahh Digimon, 'Pokemon's lesser cousin'. As it approaches its 21st anniversary, Pokemon steams on at its 22nd. For years the digital monsters were shoved aside in the West for the pocket monsters, but now Digimon seems to be making a come back- thanks to Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth namely.
Here, due to the probable small amount of fans, we can talk about any digimon game.
I've played Digimon World: Dusk and Digimon Linkz, while watching a playthrough of Cyber Sleuth.

Digimon Linkz is a pay-to-win/free to play phone game, not much to say about it. Story is very basic- the digital world is breaking down for some unknown reason and has been saved to your device for you to fix through digimon battles and other things. Its good for a few minutes of break time, however the need to pay comes up fairly quickly if you play for too long.. Quite sad, as this was my first time playing a 3D digimon game and it has tainted the series for me (but has been fixed upon my discovery of Cyber Sleuth). I would not openly recommend this unless you don't mind playing for short periods.

Digimon World: Dusk is a 2D RPG for the Nintendo DS. Dusk, and it's counterpart- Dawn, are considered to be the best games to introduce Digimon to Pokemon players. It tries to bring forth a larger story, however it falls flat with small plot holes, translation errors, and the fact that it references a previous game without explanation for players that didn't play the previous game. (I was legit confused on things for years before I discovered the other game and its story online)
Dusk and Dawn have connectivity, and require it for some digimon and quests. There was also a special 100% quest, however it is no longer accessible due to Nintendo shutting down DS Wifi connections- thus removing a quest and 2 special digimon from the game.
Despite these flaws, Dusk and Dawn can be quite enjoyable if you do not mind the fact that you will probably encounter a lot of grinding fests to reach digivolutions and higher stats (levels do not matter, the stats do). This game I do recommend, and I have played it 3-4 times (and replaying it right now).

Post subject: Re: Digimon Hub
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:21 am 
(No assigned userbar)
Average Attendee
Average Attendee
I'm never eager to compare Pokemon and Digimon so quickly. While they had to compete for attention, a lot of the drawn parallels were forced by the international market, and not as strongly in Japan. Though that would absolutely be a deeper conversation, and worth its own thread entirely. (Mainly to garner diverse attention.)

I want to put out there that if anyone likes the original Digimon virtual pet game from the late 90s, the 20th Anniversary version is a great way to replay the game. Not only can you pick one of six eggs to raise, based on the five original releases, and the anniversary version, but the game will also have you raise a second egg of your choice, so even if you don't have a chance to connect it for battle, they won't get lonely.

I was playing Digimon Linkz, but I recently hit a low point on keeping up with my mobile games. I've been playing the first Cyber Sleuth game, but not nearly often enough to make a dent in it. I was playing the original Digimon World, but man is that grueling.

I'm also generally obsessed with the Digimon anime, and its English localization. But that's not game-talk.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:50 am 
"Chaos is power, enriched by the heart."
Rocky Road
Rocky Road
I'm also generally obsessed with the Digimon anime, and its English localization. But that's not game-talk.
[/quote]
Yo, same here. I binge watched the english sub of Digimon Adventure a summer back every sunday. It was a bucket of fun, but circumstances made it so I could only watch half-way through the first season at the time. I should really get back to watching it soon...

But yeah, as you said, not really game-talk. '^^
I have no personal experiences with the games, but I've always liked the shows and I adore the designs of the Digimon.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:54 am 
"Lovely Trick!"
Average Attendee
Average Attendee
i'm more the other way around, in that i've played more games than i have watched anime xd

i've played a little bit of world 4 and world:dawn up to part way thru the post-game story until i lost my cart...
i've been interested in peeking at the other games, cyber sleuth maybe? i might look into emulating stuff too

linkz was fun for a while but it felt repetitive quickly with little progression, at least for me..

but i'm big on classic v-pets so i should take a look at 20th anniversary i think...?! let me see kirinmon, always

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:56 am 
"I'm not what you think I am..."
Average Attendee
Average Attendee
the virtual pets were my life! i never liked the comparison to pokemon either as they're so different. it's changed and developed quite a lot in good and bad ways alike but i love digimon immensely regardless.