All times are UTC

Post subject: Tamagotchi
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:29 am 
(No assigned userbar)
Average Attendee
Average Attendee
General Tamagotchi Discussion Topic

---

I'm a big fan of Bandai's virtual pets, so both Digimon and Tamagotchi are important to me. I wasn't quite attentive enough as a child to have any of the original Tamagotchi releases, but when Tamagotchi Connection came out, that was my jam! My younger brother and my neighbor both got them, and the inferred connection was thrilling, like the classic Mystery Gift in Pokemon Gold, Silver, and Crystal. Admittedly, I fell out of the franchise with the release of Tamagotchi Connection Gen 4, because I wasn't as excited with Tamagotchi going in a direction focused on Tamagotchi having careers or raising a whole family: I just like the basic mechanics of the games.

In the United States, we don't get as much Tamagotchi content these days. At Toys R Us locations, and exclusively online at some local retailers, an English version of the 20th Anniversary Tamagotchi was released for sale. It's a Tamagotchi Mini, so all you do is feed your Tama, clean up it's messes, and turn off the light when it goes to bed. But that's more than enough for me to be happy to have it in my life again.

There is also the My Tamagotchi Forever app, but I haven't played it yet. It looks really cute, but I still miss Tamagotchi Tap n Hatch.

Anyone else want to share their thoughts on Tamagotchi?

Post subject: Re: Tamagotchi
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:13 am 
"Ascension!"
Average Attendee
Average Attendee
My only experience with Tamagotchi has been the first two Game Boy games (one of which was Japan only). I like them, even if they're very limited for a Game Boy game, it definitely feels like it would work better in the keychain form that the series originated in. Still, I have a weakness for virtual pet games (blame Chao Garden) and really enjoy seeing what my Tamagotchi is going to evolve into next. I definitely wish they had more interactivity though, and it's a little too easy to max out your pet's stats very quickly.

I'm definitely interested in trying more of the series down the line, whether it be through one of the keychain games or maybe the Saturn Tamagotchi Park.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:50 am 
"Lovely Trick!"
Average Attendee
Average Attendee
i've been into tamagotchi since around connection as well, but dropped off around connection v4 ue to attention stuff and funds... but i also do have a entama and a uratama?
i've been looking into getting one of the backlit japanese tamagotchi, with the colors and such. like, tmgc plus color or anything after it, maybe 4U or iDL? possibly m!x

as for the tamagotchi forever phone app... i had played it a little bit for a few adult cycles an it's... really bare bones, in my opinion?
i understand it's a free app, but it's very devoid of personality it feels like... there's very little to do in it compared to more modern tamagotchi toys, but if you're just wanting something to poke at on occasion, it's alright i guess. but if you want a more full experience, just save up for an actual tmgc toy, honestly.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:53 am 
"I'm not what you think I am..."
Average Attendee
Average Attendee
tamagotchi helped to prep me for when it was time for pets to pass on. never ever got easy, but better than it could have been. that said, my early internet days where literally me scouring what was around at the time (such as geocities) for tamagotchi and digimon fansite, fan-made games and knockoffs, etc.

good times!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:08 am 
(No assigned userbar)
Average Attendee
Average Attendee
I remember playing with one when I was little, but that's about it.