SEGA Carnival Website •  FAQ •  Search •  Register •  Login 
It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:22 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:29 pm 
"Ascension!"
Average Attendee
Average Attendee
Quote:
Also dipping my feet into Golden Sun, although it's not really keeping my attention.
I tried that series late last year as well with the first Golden Sun on GBA and also struggled to get into it before eventually just dropping it about 10 hours in. I don't know what it was about it, yeah it's a bit dated and rudimentary but I usually really enjoy retro style JRPGs like that, I even played through Dragon Quest 2 for the first time at the start of this year and loved it, but Golden Sun just felt so bland and charmless to me, which I know is a pretentious and meaningless criticism but I don't know how else to describe it. I hear The Lost Age is apparently a lot better though. I'll probably still revisit the original Golden Sun some time to finish it since I bought it on Wii U Virtual Console so it's not like I can sell it off or anything.

Myself, I'm currently playing the Mega Man Classic series on and off, attempting to beat all the platformers in the Classic series (disregarding stuff not by Capcom like Mega Man DOS or Game Gear Mega Man) before Mega Man 11 is released, as well as trying some 1CC runs of some of the games for fun. Currently the only games left to beat are Mega Man 6, Mega Man 9-10, and Game Boy Mega Man III-V. Been fun, Mega Man Classic is really consistently great imo and there's tons to choose from. Definitely glad I got Mega Man & Bass out of the way now though, I only managed to beat it as Bass (made it to the final boss once with Mega but screw doing that fight without the double jump) and it's easily the most nightmarishly hard game out of the franchise that I've played so far, and that includes Mega Man Zero :tired:

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 4:17 pm 
"Chaos is power, enriched by the heart."
Rocky Road
Rocky Road
Me and Sable had been playing Ocarina of Time over Discord, taking turns as we went along. We just beat it a few days ago, and we're getting ready to do Majora's Mask next!

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 4:30 am 
"We all did it together!"
Average Attendee
Average Attendee
Finally got around to hacking my 3DS (A LOT easier than I thought, was scared I was going to brick the system) and play the first two cases of Dai Gyakuten Saiban, or The Great Ace Attorney.

I gotta say, so far it's been quite....underwhelming. The first case was your average Ace Attorney case, but things like the music and atmosphere are very odd. I mean, it makes sense it's meant to be 19th Century Japan and soon to be England so things like strings and flutes makes sense but it just feels like it doesn't fit the Ace Attorney style, it's more a Professor Layton feel. People don't even have puns in their names anymore, hell the main character is literally translated as "Ryuunosuke Naruhodou"

Plus, the second case had no courtroom segments. Like, the entire second case took place in THREE rooms. All you did was investigate one room, talk to people and then leave, repeated around 20 times before the case was over. Instead of courtroom segments, we got some interesting but ultimately boring deduction from Sherlock Holmes (where, funnily enough, he would deduct things incorrectly and you would correct him).

So far, it's been quite weak of an Ace Attorney game. But it's only been the first two cases, and the copy I had to get second hand had all the cases already unlocked (whoever had it last actually finished the game back in 2015 and his saves were still on there intact) and the third and fifth case seem really interesting so I hope it picks up from there. I remember being underwhelmed and cheated in SoJ and it became a good game by the end.

Also a bit of an annoying side note, but hacking my 3DS changed the time of the system to 2030, and now it says I first started playing The Great Ace Attorney in 2030 and I can't change it, but on the plus side I somehow made it my most played game in average time.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 6:02 am 
(No assigned userbar)
Average Attendee
Average Attendee
^I too, have recently hacked my 3DS. Unfortunately, this 3DS has a broken L button, (being the reason it wasn't updated, and I could hack it so easily), and I have to blow in the cracks just to make it work for approximately 30 seconds, so I can't play most games I'd want to.

I recently finished playing The Dragon's Trap on my Switch! It's a really good game, that feels very much like the GBC Shantae game, minus the day/night feature and the presence of dialog.

In fact, I liked it so much I went to find Monster World 4, and give it a try. I'm playing what I presume to be the Wii VC translation.

And whoa nelly, if Shantae games aren't inspired by either game (if not both) I'll be completely bewildered.
The Sage of Save, the monster girl enemies, even the humor occasionally- Shantae feels like a well made combo of the two after starting to play MW4.

I also started a new run of SA2B with my brother to finally get all 180 Emblems. We're at about 110 Emblems with all of Tails' missions A Ranked so far.

In addition, I'm now playing the Steam version of SADX with the Better SADX + Dreamcast mod... and my 3DS as a controller because I don't have any good controllers with sticks to use to play.
I'm debating as I go if this will be the version I choose to get 100% in.

GB games on my 3DS I'm playing actively:

Mega Man Zero (I swear if I couldn't D-pad dash...)
Power Quest (surprisingly well made GBC fighting game)
Randomized Pokemon Emerald
Spyro 2: Season of Flame

Others that I play passively:

KH: Chain of Memories (Uses L button, debating on if I should challenge myself to complete it anyways or just delete it.)
Fire Emblem
Advance Wars
Sonic Advance 1-3

I plan on playing Robopon 2 on my 3DS as well, if I can find a reasonable way to transfer my save of previous progress.

Anyone know any good GBA games that don't use the L button or non-eshop listed GBC games for me to try?
I'm admittedly sad I can't play great games like Legacy of Goku 2 or the GBA Metroid games on my 3DS.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 1:07 pm 
"Chaos is power, enriched by the heart."
Rocky Road
Rocky Road
Recently, I got to borrow my brother's PS3, and with it, I used Sable's account (with her permission of course lol) to download a bunch of great games! Currently I'm playing through the Rachet & Clank trilogy and also Persona 3 FES for the first time. I'm really liking Persona so far. I hope it keeps it up.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 1:41 pm 
"Show me your power... Or I shall not obey."
Rocky Road
Rocky Road
I turned on Unreal Gold the other day, died, and realized that autosaves didn't exist back then.