SEGA Carnival Website •  FAQ •  Search •  Register •  Login 
It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:56 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 5:24 am 
(No assigned userbar)
Average Attendee
Average Attendee
Sometimes I write stuff, and I wanted to share something, so I guess I'm going to concept dump?

--A Hero Story--

An idea I still really like is a world where almost everyone has superpowers, but no one wants to be a hero because there are social and financial punishments. If you're caught doing heroics of any kind, no matter the outcome, your credit score goes down and your insurance rates go up and all kinds of stuff like that. You basically have to either become homeless or a leech to be a real hero.

The silliest part is that I had news networks call these heroes "locals" or "local man". It started as a joke off of the "Florida man" meme, but just became a fun idea. "You don't want to be a 'Local Girl' now do you?" would be a genuine thing a parent or teacher might say to a kid. I also thought it could connect with "loco", since you'd be seen as crazy for doing anything like this.

Obviously I had to come up with some kind of technology based department of some kind to keep the piece. I made it a private business type of thing. Agents would be sent out to control situations and contain any power-based criminal activity. This could open up a whole discussion on if these agents are targeting just criminals or the vigilantes as well.

I only have two consistent characters for this world.

The first is a woman in her mid-to-late twenties with ice powers. She uses her powers to skate around and freeze the bodies of criminals just shy of frost burn. This way they're slowed down and can easily be captured. She's flirty and likes to drink, but is dedicated to the career she chose, which leaves her living out of her car. When she was in high school she tried to be a masked heroine who made fencing-like swords out of ice, but it was obviously campy and ineffective, so she quietly retired that persona and returned with her more practical approach.

The other is a younger woman in her late teens or early twenties who has slime-based powers. She's privately a fan of Locals and is part of an online group that keeps track of their activity in her city, with the ice powered woman's old persona being her favorite. She attends college online, but lives in an apartment with a roommate to amplify the away from home nature of the "college experience". Her slime powers are compensatory, so when she puts on clothing that covers her too tightly, her body creates thick slime immediately. Because of this, she tends to wear baggy clothing and let the slime build up, making her look more like a large man. She uses this as a disguise of sorts, partly to hide herself.

The two meet and investigate a strange string of people losing control of their powers. They bond and maybe its romantic or maybe its not. I just have a lot of fun visual ideas thinking about them getting to know each other, learning about each other's pasts, and setting new goals for their future.

--The Battery--

It is much more a concept than a healthy narrative. A human is born with the inexplicable ability to generate incredible amounts of electricity without harming themself. This person then uses this ability to supply elderly millennials with energy for their cellphones in a reduced-tech future. This person rides on small electric-based vehicles that they personally power, traveling between small towns with rather small populations. Eventually conflict happens, but that matters less.

I like the idea because it is fun imagining a future where old people are attached to their cellphones that are only working via local networks. It is also an unrealistic future where electricity is very expensive, and society has reduced its use of machinery. It's meant to be a world that decided technology failed them, so let's restart. If there is a narrative that matters, it is finding a balance between technology and humanity.

I just have cute thoughts about the Battery person making a friend who wants them to do more with their power, but it just end up really risky. I also use it to think of the idea of a lazy day and open fields where your agenda is your own.

--The Witch and the Wendigo--

This is an extra dumb and kinda edgy idea. Mainly because it plays with lore.

The main narrative is that a witch tries living in a heavily populated city, meets a wendigo, and they collaborate to pursue the witch's goal of using magic in a non-natural environment, with the wendigo taking care of clean-up when she accidentally kills people.

It really commits to two idea that aren't necessarily standard lore, and instead are reimaginings of sorts.

The first is that witches only can use energy acquired from nature, and that cities do not contain enough nature to make this possible. I'd actively contradict this by showing a witch that uses bugs and rats and molds and the bits of nature that fight to strive in cities as evidence that nature adapts to cities, but it would obviously be seen as unhealthy. The real goal would be for the witch to learn to tap into the energies in people and use negligible parts of their souls/spirits as energy sources.

That being said, I'd also be committing to wendigo being a spirit, and one that resides in almost every human. More broadly it is seen as like a soul's "greed gland", but when fed well, it is more clearly a wendigo spirit. The character himself that is a wendigo, though, would be stupidly tall, slouch, and look bony and deathly. Maybe he'd use makeup to put some color in his face. He'd explain that a wendigo doesn't need to survive off of extremes like cannibalism and murder, and instead can survive off of modern acts of greed, like expensive clothing or pricey coffee. Even when presented with one of the witch's accidental victims, he'd sooner sell the body's organs for money, claiming that wendigo only get so tall when all they eat is people. Later one of his relatives would be revealed to be regularly disguised a massive tree.

It is an idea that is very visual in my head, but I never care to commit on taking it anywhere. I just imagine the two meeting and let it stop there.

--

These are some of my more fun, underdeveloped ideas. If you like anything, let me know. I doubt I'll ever write them how I would want them to be, but it is still fun to think about.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 2:40 am 
"What you see is what you get! Just a guy who loves adventure!"
Average Attendee
Average Attendee
Quote:
An idea I still really like is a world where almost everyone has superpowers, but no one wants to be a hero because there are social and financial punishments. If you're caught doing heroics of any kind, no matter the outcome, your credit score goes down and your insurance rates go up and all kinds of stuff like that. You basically have to either become homeless or a leech to be a real hero.
The Incredibles (2004)

in all seriousness these are neat ideas! i'd be down for reading any if you post it.

twitter | youtube | steam | discord: eblu#8048