SEGA Carnival Website •  FAQ •  Search •  Register •  Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:45 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Villain Topic
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:28 am 
"Show me your power... Or I shall not obey."
Rocky Road
Rocky Road

I'm picking two examples to start what I want to say.

What makes a bombastic and simple villain like Maleficent good? Her writing is simple as it is and motivations are too.

Does every single villain need to have nine layers of dip to be a good villain? I think both are great but I want to know when, where, and how simple can work and be effective and memorable.

Post subject: Re: Villain Topic
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:10 am 
"Chaos is power, enriched by the heart."
Rocky Road
Rocky Road
Maleficent is a pretty flat character, I'll give you that. She stands out, however, because of her design, and her role in the story, particularly during the climax, where she turns into a freaking dragon. That's my two cents.

Post subject: Re: Villain Topic
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:17 am 
"Get a load of this!"
Rocky Road
Rocky Road
The truly timeless villains are defined by their versatility. They can be used to depict a variety of archetypes without contradiction. Here their motives are simple- there we see shades of something deeper beneath the surface. Now he plays the role of card carrying villain, now he plays the role of well intentioned extremist; the magic is in making both characterizations believable.

With Eggman it was always straightforward because his ruling character traits are his monstrous intelligence and his even more monstrous ego. What good he could obviously do with the one highlights the evil he carrys out because of the other. His greatest virtue is the root of his greatest sin.

The Penguin is another villain whose timelessness stems from his versatility. Unlike the rest of Batman's rogues gallery he's largely remained in the mold of Silver Age/60s tv series super criminals, enacting complex bird themed crimes to outwit his nemesis and prove his genius. While his methods have gotten more cruel, his modus operandi is largely unchanged. Because unlike most of Batman's other enemies, The Penguin is sane: whereas they commit crime compulsively, he chooses to act the part of a villain because he enjoys it. And indeed The Penguin is an actor; he revels in the theatre of gentleman thievery, the drama of the chase. It's all a game to him, and that simultaneously makes The Penguin more innocent and more despicable than the average Batman villain.

except it WON'T BE CHAO ISLAND ANYMORE
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD