SEGA Carnival Website •  FAQ •  Search •  Register •  Login 
It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:45 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:30 am 
"Chaos is power, enriched by the heart."
Rocky Road
Rocky Road
With all of us (I assume) being fans of SEGA one way or another, it's only reasonable to guess that y'all have crossed paths with the blue blur one way or another. So to those who are Sonic fans, which game is your favorite?

Mine still happens to be Sonic Adventure 2, with Sonic Mania being a close second. While you could argue that Mania is superior from a gameplay standpoint, SA2 still holds a special place in my heart. Sure, the gameplay can be clunky for today's standards, but I still find the stages to be a blast to this day regardless. Am I biased? Probably, but I genuinely do believe that SA2 has actual merits. The music is kickass, I find the story actually compelling at times (albeit also being memorably cheesy at the same time), and the Chao Garden and emblem collecting probably makes it have the best replay value out of any other 3D sonic game. All in all, I love the heck out of it.

Feel free to share your favorite Sonic game, and discuss your preference with other users here!
(And also, it should go without saying that you should be nice to someone even if their favorite happens to be one of the lesser well-received titles. They deserve to be treated like everyone else, even if you disagree with their opinion.)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:38 am 
"Show me your power... Or I shall not obey."
Rocky Road
Rocky Road
No, I'd argue that you can't compare SA2 to Mania because Mania only competes with 1, 2, 3, and CD as far as 2d sonic games go.

Sonic R and ShTH are fan unacceptable favorites, I've enjoyed myself playing them despite what other people say.

I haven't played many modern sonic games, lost world I've avoided over just how much it's turned me off in multiple respects. So I'll just say SA2B PC and Generations PC to call it a day.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:54 am 
"Ascension!"
Average Attendee
Average Attendee
I consider Sonic 3&K the best, but Adventure 2's right up there with it for me. I don't think it's as good overall, but between nostalgia and the sheer amount of missions and side content there is to do in that game make it easily one of the most replayable games in the series for me.

Also when I play Sonic 3&K it's generally through the Sonic Jam compilation on Saturn which I love, and if I can cheat and say that a compilation is my favourite game that would be my pick. Even if four games might seem limited compared to the Mega Collections they more than made up for it with the amount of options and extra content. As small as it is I absolutely love the Sonic World mode, so cool to see that kind of fully 3D world on the Saturn.

I also really enjoy Heroes and Generations, and although it's been ages since I played it I remember really liking Advance 1.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:01 am 
"Get a load of this!"
Rocky Road
Rocky Road
Sonic Battle because of its engrossing story.

SA/SA2 are my favorite 3D Sonic games, S3&K is my favorite 2D platformer in the series.

Sonic Riders is my favorite of the series various racing games.

except it WON'T BE CHAO ISLAND ANYMORE
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:02 am 
"All the world's jewels are mine!"
Average Attendee
Average Attendee
i think my favorite is Sonic Heroes and Generations. It's harder for me to enjoy the older games these days, but a good version of Heroes still holds. I've always looked at it like um, a mechanical precursor to modern Sonic. Generations I actually like going classic Sonic more than other 3D games

Arianna#5279

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:10 am 
"I'm not what you think I am..."
Average Attendee
Average Attendee
probably CD, with SA2 coming in close second; it's the soundtrack and aesthetics that push it to that point for me, honestly whereas SA2 i probably enjoy the gameplay, etc. moreso overall

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:27 am 
(No assigned userbar)
Average Attendee
Average Attendee
I could never decide on this until I realized it's purely based on mood for me, like maybe I'm in the mood for Sonic 2-like levels, or 3, or even 1. Adventure? R? Whatever. in this case though I'd probably just default to the game I grew up with, Sonic 3&K, which I initially played through the PC port Sonic & Knuckles Collection. (which was in turn, also through the "Sonic & Garfield pack")

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:36 am 
"We all did it together!"
Average Attendee
Average Attendee
2D is a tie between Rush and CD, mostly because of their music but I find them both to have flaws and great parts. Although, I can't remember anything from Rush since I played it over 10 years ago at this point, CD was very confusing and I know I timed out several times, but damn that music kept me going.

3D is probably Sonic Adventure, as much as I disliked Big's stages it was such a fun game regardless, and being one of six characters and having different stages was great. I really enjoyed the music as well, whenever I think about my actual taste in music I'm always brought back to Sonic Adventure as the starting point of it all.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:02 pm 
"I'm not what you think I am..."
Average Attendee
Average Attendee
Probably Adventure since it left a very lasting impression on me with the opening battle against Chaos in the rain. CD is growing on me though!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:48 pm 
"Before I knew it, I won."
Average Attendee
Average Attendee
Definitely Adventure. It's part of my favorite series in Sonic (Adventure series) and I just generally like it. I like the dialogue for how cheesy it is, I like the gameplay for how fast, well flowing it is (exactly how a Sonic game should be), and I like the music (especially the vocal tracks) for how catchy they are, and I especially like the graphics for how good the shading is.
Quote:
But Tainy! The shading is really bad! Everything is so shiny and wei-
Sorry, I couldn't hear you over the Dreamcast version, which is a MASSIVE improvement over the "enhanced" port. Seriously, if you haven't read this, check it out. It's a comprehensive guide to every way SADX screwed up the game. Thank god for mods which fix it all back up to the Dreamcast versions.