SEGA Carnival Website •  FAQ •  Search •  Register •  Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:52 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:21 pm 
"We all did it together!"
Average Attendee
Average Attendee
Already posted mine in the discord, but I'll do it here for discussion purposes. Post your top 9 or 16 games (or just top 10 if you don't want to be a special snowflake like me) and rate others, you can also give a small description for your reasoning.

Rating system works (Games you played/Games you liked), So if you played Phoenix Wright, Yakuza 2 and Pokemon Sapphire, and didn't like Yakuza 2 you'd rate it (2/3) and maybe specify what games you liked and didn't like.

Image (Click for a bigger image)
Skies of Arcadia - Game gives off a grand feeling of adventure and I absolutely adore it and every aspect of the game, from the characters, environments, music I love it all. It's my favourite game. I could go on and on about why I love it, hell I even reviewed it on another site. But I'll keep it short because there's other games I could talk about.
God Hand - Game is ridiculously fun, I've played through it over 8 times because I adore it so much. The story, characters, music and dialogue is all hilarious and playing God Hand just brings a smile to my face everytime.
Ghost Trick - Honestly, the game is close to perfect to me. I love everything about it, only flaw I could find is that it has no replayability. I played it on release and never replayed it, I know it so well.
Metroid Fusion - Game has great atmosphere and still scares me to this day. I love Metroid games, and Fusion was my first and I enjoyed every aspect of it, even the stuff people hated like Navigation and Adam. It added a little bit of feeling trapped under the federation really.
Half Life: Opposing Force - I remember a time where I had constant exams one after the other and I couldn't play any video games at all during that time, so I came home on the final day and just started up Opposing Force and played through the entire thing in one night. It was a great memory, and the game itself is also pretty great. I loved being a soldier and running around the place during the day and night meeting up other stranded members and trying to avoid the spec ops forces trying to take you out. A really cool addition to the series.
Pokémon Sapphire - Before I played Skies, Sapphire was the go to adventure game for me, and I still adore it's feeling of adventure to this day. It has such diverse environments which I loved and it's always a sunny paradise in a way. It's just quite a lovely game to play and I enjoyed every aspect of it.
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - I remember playing this game back in 2007 very vividly. This game pretty much was the start of some of my favourite tropes in media and Case 1-4 remains my favourite case because of it. This game was pretty much the first game I played as I stopped being a kid and started to become a teen. I love the game and the series to bits, and it all started here.
Cave Story - I remember dismissing this game years ago until a friend mentioned it in passing and at that point I considered playing it and man I was blown away. I finished it in 6 straight hours and loved every bit of it. The music, gameplay, sprites, design, and dialogue were all great and the fact one person made it all is even sweeter.
Fallout New Vegas - I love the Fallout games (well, NV and before) and NV was pretty much everything I liked about them in one game. I spent around 400+ hours in this game which is more than the others combined. Had 4 different playthrough and different playstyles and really just loved the game.
Metal Gear Solid - This choice is probably the odd one out here, I see MGS2 as being a better game but I'll leave it on here for my own sanity. I liked MGS1 mainly because it really encompasses what MGS was about really. Snake sneaking into bases and fighting bosses. The other games never really got this feel, you were pretty much by yourself, Meryl was little help, same with Otacon and your codec team. It was just you against everyone else, the music was great too. I love the encounter music the most. To top that off the last section was really cool. *Spoilers* I loved fighting Liquid, then finding out Shadow Moses was about to bombed and I had to get outta there. It was such a cool moment.
The Minish Cap - Played this game a ton when I was a kid and since I was a big fan of the aesthetic of Zelda, Minish cap was just a perfect game in my eyes. It used to be my favourite game but that was just so I could say I have one, but after playing others it dropped off quickly. I loved the artstyle, music and gameplay the most. It felt like a really fun Zelda to play and it'll always have a place in my heart because of it.
Paper Mario - I never got to play TTYD when I was a kid, but I did get to play the original and boy I loved it. While I don't feel as strongly as I did for it back then, I feel the kid inside me would really want me to put i on my 4x4 since it was original on my 3x3 back in 2012 before I switched it out with other games. I can't remember much of Paper Mario, but I remember loving it so I'll put it on there just because.
Alien Isolation - This game was just amazing, really gives a sense of dread and has really great graphics for a 2014 title, I loved played this game for all the small attention to detail it has. The game is a love letter to fans and really everything about it is so unique and amazing, it's sort of like playing Metroid Fusion in 3D but replace fighting with hiding and boy it'll keep the tension up for sure. It was also the first game to really give me a moment that felt like it was straight out of a movie especially since it was unscripted. I loved everything about this game and it was just very cool overall.
Silent Hill 3 - It was the first Silent Hill game I played without a guide and loved all the secrets I was finding without it. I loved Heather as a character and she'd probably shoot up into some of my favourite characters, she was also very cute. I enjoyed solving puzzles with a pen and paper too which I felt this game had a few of, the gameplay also felt a lot more smoother than with the SH1/2 and while SH2 has a much better story I just enjoyed this one a lot more. I also played it on PC so the game looked incredible despite being 12 years old at the time.
Valkyria Chronicles - I'm a big WW2 history buff and enjoy the time period quite a bit, I'm also a fan of turn based strategies and war settings, along with characters from Skies of Arcadia being playable unit. It was almost like this game was MADE for me, while it had it's not very good moments I loved it just because it was an interesting take on a setting like WW2 and had very fun characters, great music, touching moments and just all round a great little game to play.
Yakuza 2 - Had no internet in the house when I came to uni, so I spent a long long while just playing Yakuza 2 on my computer and doing every little sidequest that I could. I spent a lot of time on that game and adored it, it also really made me love Kiryu as a character and Yakuza as a series. That final fight with that music nearly brought a tear to my eye man, and the game itself was just incredible. Plus it had Mahjong baby.

Oh hey thanks for reading all of this.
Use: http://bighugelabs.com/mosaic.php if you want to do it quick, or use your own editing software like Paint or Paint.net or whatever.

Remember to r8 n h8.

Why is the image limit 600px? :mad: :mad: :mad:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:35 pm 
"You're not even good enough to be my fake."
Average Attendee
Average Attendee
Sonic Adventure 2
Sonic Adventure 2
Sonic Adventure 2
Sonic Adventure 2
And my personal favorite...
Sonic Adventure 2.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:44 am 
"Get a load of this!"
Rocky Road
Rocky Road
Can't post images.

1- Oracle of Ages/Seasons
2- Pokemon FireRed/LeafGreen
3- Shantae
4- Metroid Prime
5- Sonic Battle
6- Sonic Adventure 2
7- S3&K
8- Link's Awakening DX
9- Kirby and the Amazing Mirror
10- Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door

except it WON'T BE CHAO ISLAND ANYMORE
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:08 am 
(No assigned userbar)
Average Attendee
Average Attendee
Well I DID make a 4x4 grid in Photoshop but then it crashed on me once I hit the save button, so screw that noise, not doing all that editing again, we're going for a traditional list instead. Let it be revealed that I pretty much only play dumb babby games. The top 7 are pretty consistent but the others on the list tend to shuffle around in order or occasionally get swapped out by other games depending on my mood.

Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door

Banjo Kazooie

We Love Katamari

Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc

Tales of the Abyss

Ristar

Dynamite Headdy

Kirby Super Star

Yoshi's Island

Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus

Sonic Adventure 2

Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil

NiGHTS into dreams...

Lemmings

Jak II: Renegade

Super Monkey Ball 2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:41 am 
(No assigned userbar)
Average Attendee
Average Attendee
boy do I like metroidvania games

(click for bigger image!)

The games I'm most iffy about are Shantae (because I haven't played it again in a good few years or tons of times prior unlike the others) and Arms because... I actually don't know?

I feel the need to say that I think S3&K and Metroid Prime are the closest games to perfection I've ever played, yet my absolute favorite game of all-time is Custom Robo.

(despite said games being near the same area of the chart, the picture has no order)

Honorary mentions are:

Pocket Rumble
Shantae: Half-Genie Hero
Shantae and the Pirate's Curse
Each of the first 3 Paper Mario games

---

Retro's List: (6/3) [Skies of Arcadia, Pokemon Sapphire, Ace Attorney, Metroid Fusion, Paper Mario, Minish Cap]

Only reason I can't say I like all of the games on your list that I've played is because I haven't finished Arcadia, Ace Attorney, or Minish Cap, nor gotten far enough to make a concrete judgement. I'll do it some day.

NightmareCxt's list: (1/...1) good list

Ivo-goji's list: (8/8) [everything that isn't Oracles or Link's Awakening]

I am 90% sure I may be blood related to Ivo. More about this on channel 5 news at 11.

Pocket's List: (6/5) [Paper Mario: TTYD, Ristar, Dynamite Headdy, Kirby Super Star, Yoshi's Island, SA2]

Only one I don't like is Dynamite Headdy. It's visuals were just a bit too bright which gave me a headache and some of the levels were on the more annoying side.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:36 pm 
"We all did it together!"
Average Attendee
Average Attendee
Sorry for never replying to my own thread I guess, let me rectify that.
Quote NightmareCxt :
Sonic Adventure 2
Sonic Adventure 2
Sonic Adventure 2
Sonic Adventure 2
And my personal favorite...
Sonic Adventure 2.
10/10, excellent taste.
Quote Ivo-goji :
Can't post images.

1- Oracle of Ages/Seasons
2- Pokemon FireRed/LeafGreen
3- Shantae
4- Metroid Prime
5- Sonic Battle
6- Sonic Adventure 2
7- S3&K
8- Link's Awakening DX
9- Kirby and the Amazing Mirror
10- Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door
10/10 (unironically this time). Yeah, I like all the games you posted here. Are they in actual order from number one favourite to tenth favourite? I like how you put Metroid Prime over 2, I found MP1 to be a better game than 2 just because I found having a second world to traverse through even more tedious than it should be. Interesting to see Sonic Battle on there, played that when I was a kid and thought it was fun for what it was, never though anyone would consider it a top 10 contender. Also, why SA2 over SA1?
Quote Pocket :
Well I DID make a 4x4 grid in Photoshop but then it crashed on me once I hit the save button, so screw that noise, not doing all that editing again, we're going for a traditional list instead. Let it be revealed that I pretty much only play dumb babby games. The top 7 are pretty consistent but the others on the list tend to shuffle around in order or occasionally get swapped out by other games depending on my mood.

Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door

Banjo Kazooie
We Love Katamari
Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc
Tales of the Abyss
Ristar
Dynamite Headdy
Kirby Super Star
Yoshi's Island
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sonic Adventure 2
Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil
NiGHTS into dreams...
LemmingS
Jak II: Renegade
Super Monkey Ball 2
Bolded the ones I played. 8/9 (Never liked Yoshi's Island). Nice taste, Ristar is fantastic and I love every little bit of it. Danganronpa is great too. I still need to play through Klonoa since it seems like a fun cute platformer I'd enjoy.
Quote Paintbrush :
boy do I like metroidvania games

(click for bigger image!)

Retro's List: (6/3) [Skies of Arcadia, Pokemon Sapphire, Ace Attorney, Metroid Fusion, Paper Mario, Minish Cap]

Only reason I can't say I like all of the games on your list that I've played is because I haven't finished Arcadia, Ace Attorney, or Minish Cap, nor gotten far enough to make a concrete judgement. I'll do it some day.
Thanks for doing the mosaic! Yeah, that's totally fair for my rankings, I try and not rate things before I've finished them too, unless I already know if I like them or not.

As for you 10/10 (S&K, MP, Kirby's, SA2, Shantae, SMS, ZM, XD, Sonic Battle). Nicely consistent and very Nintendo/Sega, which isn't a bad thing but you might wanna expand that taste a bit. Also ARMS is an interesting choice, especially a 2018 game, why exactly is that on there?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:17 am 
"Get a load of this!"
Rocky Road
Rocky Road
Quote retrolinkx :
10/10 (unironically this time). Yeah, I like all the games you posted here. Are they in actual order from number one favourite to tenth favourite?
Yeah, more or less.
Quote :
I like how you put Metroid Prime over 2, I found MP1 to be a better game than 2 just because I found having a second world to traverse through even more tedious than it should be.
The original Metroid Prime is just as close to perfect as it gets, such a beautiful game.
Quote :
Interesting to see Sonic Battle on there, played that when I was a kid and thought it was fun for what it was, never though anyone would consider it a top 10 contender. Also, why SA2 over SA1?
For me, the GBA Sonic games were pretty much the defining titles of the series. Sonic Advance was the first Sonic game I ever played and the sequels were a big part of my childhood. When I think of my favorite game from that era though it's solidly Sonic Battle. It's fun, it has the Advance style sprites I love so much, and I think it's got the very best storyline out of the whole Sonic franchise.

I flip flop on the question of SA vs SA2, they're really close in terms of how much I enjoy them, and I have very fond memories of both. Compelling arguments could be made for either game. But, when I look at which of those two games I play more, the answer is always SA2.

except it WON'T BE CHAO ISLAND ANYMORE
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD